To celebrate La Belle Patel’s Halloween theme this month, I wanted to share with you all a freakishly easy baked french fries recipe for #FreakyFriday. My sisters and I love French fries but we don’t eat them too often because they are loaded with fat and sodium. I’ve tried numerous baked french fries recipes but they all seem to come out soggy. So after a few failed attempts, I think I landed on a near perfect recipe for semi-crispy and flavorful baked fries.
#BeHealthy Tip: The freaky part about this recipe is that these baked French fries are a tad bit healthier than typical French fries. Potatoes, in general, have been given a bad rep because they are high in starch (which can cause blood sugar spikes) and are typically fried (so high in fat). However, potatoes are very nutritious if eaten the right way. The skin provides most of the potato’s nutritional value. When left on, the skin provides a high amount of potassium, calcium, and vitamin B6. Potassium can help reduce blood pressure and is used for muscle and nerve function. Calcium helps build strong bones and prevents osteoporosis while vitamin B6 improves your immune system and cognitive function.
Instead of frying your potatoes, try these instead. The garlic adds a nice, but subtle hint of flavor.
Baked French Fries
2 red potatoes, washed and dried
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp salt (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Cut the potatoes in half, lengthwise. Cut pieces in half again and then into thin strips to form fries shape. Make sure they are not too thin as they can burn quickly in the oven. Place on paper towel and cover with another paper towel. Rub fries to get as much moisture out of the potatoes as possible.
- Place fries in a bowl. Add paprika, garlic powder, salt and olive oil. Toss to fully cover potato pieces. Add a little more oil if potatoes look dry.
- Place a cookie rack on a baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray then place fries on cookie rack. This will help fries crisp up. Make sure fries have enough room. If fries are too close, they may not crisp up as well.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping pieces halfway.
- Remove from oven then increase temperature to 450° F. Once oven is ready, place baking sheet back in oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until slightly browned, turning pieces halfway.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before eating.
Be Healthy, Be Gorgeous