Today, I am going to show you all my go to chicken pho recipe to celebrate Freaky Pho-riday (get it?) here at La Belle Patel. My sisters and I love pho. I mean love it. Speaking for myself, I could eat it everyday, that’s how much I love it. But living in Montebello makes it difficult for me to eat it everyday since the nearest pho restaurant is about 20 minutes away. Some of you might be saying that’s not far, but when you have your lazy pants on…it is!
After scrolling through several authentic recipes, I decided to choose a much simpler route by using ready-made chicken broth. I know, I know. Making your own broth tastes so much better (believe me I know), but when you’re in a pinch, and don’t want to watch over the stove for hours, using ready-made broth isn’t so bad.
#BeHealthy Tip: Pho actually is pretty healthy since it uses minimal ingredients. The broth contains a good source of iron since most of the flavor comes from the marrow of meat bones. You also get a good dose of vitamins and minerals from the veggie toppings. Oh, and don’t forget the Thai basil. This aromatic, licorice flavored leafy green is the very reason why I love pho. It contains high amounts of vitamin K (good for bones) and vitamin A (good for eyesight) and may have some anti-inflammatory effects. Note: if you can’t find Thai basil at your local grocery store (or Farmer’s market), you can substitute it with regular basil.
Hope you all enjoy this #FreakyFriday recipe!
Be healthy, be gorgeous,
2-32oz box low sodium chicken broth
2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 yellow onion, cut in half
1 4-in piece of ginger
3 star anise pods
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp whole cloves
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
13 oz package rice noodles
3 green onions, sliced
1 bunch thai basil
lime, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 400OF. Place half onion and ginger on baking sheet and roast in oven for 30 minutes until charred. (Alternative: Roast on stove top using a grill pan for 10-15 minutes, until charred).
- Place roasted half onion, ginger, chicken broth, star anise, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, fish sauce, brown sugar, and chicken thighs in a large 4 quart pot and place on stove top over medium-high heat.
- Simmer on stove for an hour, remove chicken thighs in a separate bowl. Shred chicken and save for later in refrigerator.
- Simmer the soup for an additional 2 hours, adding water when necessary to replenish soup. Once soup is almost done, slice remaining half onion into thin strips and place in soup to heat. Add green onion.
- Once soup is ready, place rice noodles in a separate pot with water and soak for 5 minutes. Turn on stove to medium heat and simmer noodles for an additional 5 minutes until noodles are tender.
- Divide noodles between 4 bowls, add chicken, then ladle soup over the noodles.
- Garnish with optional toppings. Add hoison sauce and sriracha sauce if preferred.
Be Healthy, Be Gorgeous