It’s always a good idea to sneak in veggies whenever you can. Some may think it’s difficult to get in your recommended 2 ½ to 3 cups of veggies a day, but I’m going to give you an easy tip: Sneak them into already prepared meals.
I know people nowadays are running a tight and busy schedule. Cooking meals from scratch can be time consuming, but here’s a little secret. I don’t always cook my meals from scratch. Sometimes I get help from Trader Joe’s or Fresh & Easy to speed up my prep/cooking process. One of my go to recipes is Chicken Teriyaki with Japenese Fried Rice. The Japanese fried rice can be found in the freezer section of your local Trader Joes. Its vegan and contains carrots, edamame, seaweed and tofu. If you love sushi, you’ll love this rice. The chicken teriyaki is simply marinated chicken thighs with Trader Joe’s Soyaki sauce.
To increase veggie consumption, add more veggies to already prepped meals, such as Japanese Fried Rice. It’s simple and unnoticeable for those picky eaters. By doing this, you can also increase the bulk of the meal, therefore increasing portions for each package. I like to add a whole head of broccoli and an extra carrot to the rice.
#Behealthy Tip: When looking for prepackaged meals, pay attention to food labels to determine calorie, fat and sodium content. Also pay attention to ingredients listed to determine if the meal is minimally processed and contains wholesome ingredients. Wholesome ingredients are those you can actually pronounce.
Try it today and always, be healthy, be gorgeous.
Chicken Teriyaki w/ Japanese Fried Rice
1 lb boneless chicken thighs
¼ cup Trader Joe’s Soyaki sauce
1 whole head broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
1 package Trader Joe’s Japanese Fried Rice
- Set broiling temperature of your oven to 375O
- Place chicken thighs in a medium bowl.
- Add Soyaki sauce and cover each piece of chicken thigh.
- Place chicken on baking sheet covered with foil. Place in oven and broil for 25 minutes, turning halfway.
- Meanwhile, add cooking spray to a nonstick skillet. Add carrots and broccoli pieces and sauté for 1 minute. Add 2 Tablespoons water to pot and cover. Allow veggies to steam for about 2-3 minutes, until carrots are tender. Be sure to occasionally stir veggies so that they don’t stick to the pan.
- Add rice, and cook according to package directions.
- Serve rice with the chicken while hot.