Week one of the 28 day jump start challenge is completed and it hasn’t been as tough as I thought it would be. I’ve been committed to the workouts, fitting them in as best I could. I started out easy, walking for my cardio, and slowly increased the intensity by fitting in HIIT workouts I found online and going to the gym on the weekend. I did mess up a couple of times (after all that is life), but I didn’t beat myself up over it and started right back up the next day.
One of the meals on the FitGirl’s Guide 28 jump start meal plan is sweet potato street tacos. I didn’t end up buying sweet potatoes so I ended up changing up the recipe a bit, well, okay, a whole lot. On Monday’s I usually practice meatless Mondays, so I used tofu as my protein source and I wanted more flavor so I sprinkled some taco seasoning into the mix (I love Trader Joe’s brand).
Tofu is a really good plant based protein. It comes from soybean, you know….like edamame. And one 3-oz serving (of the extra firm variety) provides 8g protein and at least 15% of your daily value of calcium. Additionally, cooking with tofu is easy and, since it doesn’t have much flavor to begin with, tofu will take on the flavor of spices, sauces and vegetables you cook it with. So eat your tofu, and build strong bones and lean muscle…your body will thank you.
Tip: When pressing tofu, save the juice from the container and add it to your next smoothie for extra calcium.
Tofu Street Tacos
1 12-oz extra firm tofu, sliced and pressed (click here to learn how to press tofu)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 small white onion, diced
5 oz baby Bella mushrooms, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
¼ cup water (or chicken broth)
1 Tbsp taco seasoning
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground red chili powder (optional)
salt to taste
8 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded green cabbage
1 cup shredded red cabbage
- As the tofu is pressing, place oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for another 5 minutes, until juices run dry and mushrooms look golden brown. Add garlic, sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add both bell peppers and cook 5 to 10 minutes more until peppers are soft.
- While the vegetables are cooking, grate the tofu slices using a cheese grater. Add to pan of cooked vegetables. Add tomato paste, mix then add water. Add all spices. Mix and simmer for about 10 minutes until juices run dry. Season to taste if salt, if desired.
- Heat the corn tortillas on a griddle or frying pan.
- Assemble tacos, sprinkling the red and green cabbage on the corn tortilla then adding about ¼ cup of the tofu mixture on top.
*Additional toppings include black beans, avocado, sour cream, salsa and cheese.